None of us are perfect, and we’ve all posted Facebook posts with misspellings, grammatical errors, wrong “facts,” or opinions that we immediately realized might not need to be aired in public. When that happens, you’ll want to go into your post and fix the problem, either by changing it or deleting it altogether. Fortunately, it is very easy, if you know how to do it.
What follows are instructions on how to edit a Facebook post, delete it, and restore it on the web and using the mobile app. (I used the Facebook app on a Pixel 6, but the steps will be similar on other phones and on iOS.)
In the net
- On the post you want to edit, click the three dots at the top right of your post.
- Click on edit post if you want to change it; make your edits and then click Save money.
- Click on move to trash if you want to remove it, and then click Move on.
Note: when you “delete” a post, you are actually moving it to a trash section, where it will eventually be deleted after 30 days. If you want to restore or remove it immediately, follow the steps below.
- Click on your personal icon in the upper right corner
- Click on Settings and privacy > Activity log
- In the left column, scroll down and select Trash
- Find the post and click its checkbox. Click on Restore to restore it to your timeline, or Erase to delete it permanently.
- In the resulting pop-up window, click Restore either Erase.
On a mobile device
- Tap the three dots in the top right corner of the post
- Select edit post if you want to change it; make your edits and then click Save money.
- Select move to trash if you want to remove it, and then click Move on.
The process of restoring or permanently deleting a post is similar to that of the web.
- On your timeline, tap on your personal icon in the top left corner.
- Tap the three dots to the right of Edit profile.
- In your profile settings, select Activity Log > Trash.
- Select the checkbox of the post you want to restore or delete.
- To restore the post, tap Restore at the bottom of the screen. To remove it permanently, tap on the three dots at the bottom right and select Erase.
- Play Restore either Erase in the popup menu.