May 30, 2023 | 22:06
Better than Ezra?
“The Flash” director Andy Muschietti says Ezra Miller, who is non-binary and uses they/them pronouns, is the only actor he would cast for a sequel, despite Miller’s legal troubles.
“Yeah [a sequel] It happens, yeah,” Muschietti, 49, told his sister and producing partner, Barbara Muschietti, on an upcoming episode of “The Discourse” podcast, about working with Miller, 30, again.
“I don’t think there’s anyone who can play that character as well as they do. The other portrayals of the character are great, but this particular take on the character, they just stood out doing it,” he added.
“And, like you said, the two Barrys, it feels like a character made for them.”
Barbara added: “In principal photography, Ezra was brilliant, the most committed and the most professional. [actor]. Ezra gave his all to this role: physically, creatively, and emotionally. They were absolutely supreme.”
The Post has contacted a representative for Miller for comment.
“The Flash” hits theaters on June 16. The film premiered in April during CinemaCon 2023, where Muschietti called Miller “one of the best actors I’ve ever worked with.”
“Every tool in the toolkit… [Miller] he’s an amazing comedian, and [has] all the action required for a great show like this,” he added, according to Deadline, which reported that Miller was not at the CinemaCon presentation.
“The Flash 2” hasn’t been confirmed, but The Hollywood Reporter reported in October that “Aquaman” screenwriter David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick had already written a sequel should the first film be a success.
Meanwhile, Miller has been accused of grooming minors into an alleged cult-like situation.
The “Perks of Being a Wallflower” star was also reportedly the subject of 10 police calls in less than a month in Hawaii last year.
In August 2022, Miller’s agent released a statement stating that they were seeking treatment for “complex mental health issues.”
“Having recently been through a time of intense crisis, I now understand that I am dealing with complex mental health issues and have begun ongoing treatment,” Miller said.
“I want to apologize to everyone I have alarmed and upset with my past behavior. I am committed to doing the work necessary to return to a healthy, safe and productive stage in my life,” they continued.
The decision followed reports that Warner Bros. was considering pulling “The Flash” following the allegations against Miller.
A week before issuing his statement, Miller was charged with felony burglary for allegedly stealing alcohol from a home in Vermont.